Monday, November 12, 2012

Foilage dress


Which way is the wind blowing? Well by the looks of my flyaways, it's a northerly, meaning warm weather is on it's way! Yay! 
I probably shouldn't say this as I know a lot of people rely on rain in our very dry and dusty country, but I was a little miffed to hear that the La NiƱa weather pattern is returning to Australia. I was looking forward to an endless blue sky sunny summer; a welcome change to overcast humid rainy summers of late in Sydney. Today I am not complaining though as it was a good day to get out onto the roof of our apartment and take some photos of my latest sewing project. 



 This summery knock up is a Vogue pattern V8784 wrap dress, view A, teemed with a synthetic jersey print of big flowers. The bodice is lined with white synthetic jersey also. I got this fabric from the Remant Warehouse in Botany along with a swag of other great cloth a few months ago. The place is the bomb, they have a huge range of quality funky fabrics, the staff are really friendly and helpful and it's all really cheap.



This was quite a learning curve for me, mainly working with this type of material and also adding a lining for the first time. I really like the contrast of the white lining with the green and blue and decided to created a piping effect on the sleeves and facings. 
I cut out a size 14 based on the measurements provided, however it was too big in the bust area and decided to do a 2cm seam allowance along the neck and front edges. I still think it's a bit big in the bust area, so will need to look towards a better fit for the next round. Perhaps I should look at creating muslins? I see a lot of people do this and it does make sense...


 View A is a full skirt as shown in effect here despite a grumpy face. Due to the type of jersey I used, it's quite a heavy drapey dress. I fear that it will start to drop further despite tape being placed in a number of places along the shoulder seams and front edges. I hope to get a summer out of it at least. 

Please stay sunshine and all things warm!

5 comments:

  1. Your dress is so feminine and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super view from your roof-top. Perfect backdrop for your dress - looks beautiful on you. As for the weather, up here in Brisbane we could do with 'a little' rain, and just one day without the heat...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! Yes I am now hoping we all get some rain!! Merry Christmas x

      Delete