Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Practice run V1247

This is a trial run of the Rachel Comey Vogue 1247 pattern. I think I bit off more than I could chew with this one considering this was my first dabble into top making. Ridiculously slippery synthetic chiffon fabric, multiple converging french seams, first time working with material cut on bias, learning to do a rolled hem with said fabric were a few of the challenges I was faced with whilst completing this top. Nothing like aiming high...and then realising I'm way in over my depth. Thankfully this was a trial as I have some pretty lovely royal blue crepe de chine I want to use on this pattern and had some common sense to practice on something not so expensive.

Firstly, the inspiration for making this top lies particularly with the following versions created by a number of talented lasses:
- handmadebycarolyn
- sallieoh
- upsewlate
- mycatsew

The good:
- I really liked creating the french seams allowing for a nice neat finish
- For the real thing I'll be increasing the length a couple of inches as it's
sides sit a little too high on my hips. I cut out the size 12 and feel that the
overall size is good, other than the length at the hips.

The bad:
- It's obvious, the seams at the mega junction in the middle of the top don't
meet precisely. I'll need to do a few practice runs before committing
to my nice material

- completing the hem was a real pain, i kept unpicking it as I just couldn't get
it neat with such slippery material. The sides hem at each hip need to be
fixed up...still.

- I quite like the front view of this top, but when I turn to the side I look like
a wine barrel wearing a blue spotty top, so not that flattering - I'll be
reading up for some advice on how to improve the aesthetic from this angle -
perhaps a couple of rounds on the cross trainer may help too.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

My little darling

Despite completing this dress in May, I have only just now worked up the motivation and nerve to start a blog. I'll admit one of the reasons why I decided to take up this sewing caper was after seeing Paunnet's version of the very lovely Darling Ranges Dress by Megan Nielson. I was so happy to stumble across this pattern during my interwebs sojourns and this quickly led to many more moments eye balling other lovely versions such as Makes the things and Lindsay etc. I knew this was to be my first pattern to try sans patient sewing class teacher holding my hand and garment along the way. Brimming with overconfidence but not surprisingly little skill from the completion of my first basic skirt, I leapt into this project and gave it a good hot go. I'd be embarrassed for a 'real' sewer to glance over this; there are so many things wonky about the construction, but the style and fabric is generously forgiving - well I think so anyway. 

Everything was sourced from my local Spotlight store. The denim fabric was after my own heart when I found out at the counter it had been reduced to $3 a metre. I added watermelon satin bias to the facing and armholes (one of the aforementioned wonky jobs) and used some really cute art deco-y buttons to pick up the pink in the flowers. 

I found this pattern extremely easy and since exploring more commercial patterns, I have been yearning for the sweet old days back in May when this pattern and I got along like best friends and we understood each other completely. Commercial patterns and I are currently struggling - but I will persevere. This dress is super comfy, and I'm a big fan of the pockets. My hands are in them all the time.

 Hands loving the pockets

I learned a lot of new skills from making this dress and have a lot to practice to improve the wonks. Next time I'm thinking a lighter cotton one for summer. I can't wait to try the Banksia top by Megan Nielson also, I'm jumping onto the Banskia sew -a -long happening this month which will be a first, can't wait!